Watching hummingbirds – “beauties” in the bird world


 The hummingbird family, also known as the bee family, is a family of small birds with more than 300 species living all over the world.

A hummingbird with impressive plumage

This species is famous for its colorful plumage and small size, of which the smallest hummingbird species is the Cuban bee hummingbird with a weight of only about 2g.

A study by US scientists published in 2006 showed that hummingbirds receive 75% of their lift from flapping their wings down, the remaining 25% from flapping their wings up, while in other birds, the lift can be obtained 100% by flapping the wings down. Thanks to this feature, hummingbirds can hover above a flower for a long time without falling.


Inspired by this bird, the US has developed a hummingbird spy plane that can fly up and down vertically, horizontally, forward and backward. In addition to spying purposes, it can also help find victims in collapsed buildings or detect dangerous chemical leaks.

Here are some pictures of colorful hummingbirds – they look like “beauties” in the bird world:

Spoon-tailed hummingbird
Blue-headed hummingbird
Dark purple red-necked hummingbird
Red hummingbird
The Costa Hummingbird
Fire-necked hummingbird
Violet-headed hummingbird
Anna hummingbird
Two unidentified hummingbird species

Related Posts

The battle to the death between the brave cat and the venomous cobra

Advertisement Advertisement This is a rare photograph of an Aussie feral cat (much hated by Aussies) killing a venomous mulga snake. The cat has blood on his…

A pair of killer whales sweep and destroy a whole school of great white sharks off the coast of South Africa

Advertisement Advertisement Beautiful but ferocious whales are attacking sharks, forcing predators to flee the area they once dominated. Port and Starboard are two killer whales that have…

These impressive images captured the moment a mighty crocodile took down a giant snake

Advertisement Advertisement Amateur photographer Rishani Gunasinghe had the opportunity to capture a fierce fight between a crocodile and a giant cobra under a water hole in Yala…

Water bear beetle – an ‘immortal’ creature that exists for 530 million years

Advertisement Advertisement Science has finally found the only weakness of the tiny creature, once considered ‘immortal’ under all the influences of nature. Water bears are considered ‘immortal’…

The battle for the life of a newborn baby between a giraffe and a lion

Advertisement Advertisement How can the mother giraffe and her newborn baby resist the claws of the lion, an animal known to be the lord of all things?…

The wolf struggled helplessly under the mighty golden eagle’s clutches

Advertisement Advertisement A wolf could hardly match two golden eagles – which are the most prized birds of prey among birds of prey. From above, the eagle…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!